Friday, June 27, 2014

The Green Frog


                                                                                     

                                                                The Green Frog

We love going to the park at the Woodcock Dam. Its right below a beautiful butterfly garden and few hiking trails. I chose to sit on the bench in the shade. A few kids were playing close by, their parents watching their every move. I let the kids loose to play. There were four different slides, monkey bars, a little bridge, and a pair of bouncy spring type animals to ride on.

Abby chose the yellow duck. It was the bigger of the two. I’m guessing she felt safer but she still rocked very daintily. Ronnie settled for the green frog, rocking back and forth on the giant spring beneath his feet. I watched as he stood up and stretched his arms out, eyes closed, with a huge grin on his slightly freckled face.

They interacted with the other children, but you could see the awkwardness in their body language. Still trying to figure out how to maneuver in social situations, especially with kids you didn’t know. But, they managed to start a game of tag, and then the boys started to toss a football around.

I watched the other parents, another mother in particular, who caught my eye. She seemed to emanate pure anxiety about her kids playing with other people’s children. I knew how she was feeling because I used to be like her. But, I’ve come to realize that you can’t be in control all of the time. You have to let kids be kids, because it’s all a learning experience for them.

Honestly, I was waiting for her to call her kids over and leave but after a few minutes went by and she realized that my children, let alone the other kids there, posed no threat to hers, she seemed to become a bit more relaxed…but not too much.

As I watched my kids play, I couldn’t help but think about when they were little babies, toddlers getting into everything. Now seeming so grown up, and doing so many things by themselves.

I wonder where the time goes. My precious babies aren’t babies anymore but there was something about that moment where Ronnie stood up on that green frog with such an innocent, care free spirit that put a smile on my face and in my heart.

1 comment: